Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Clarinets

Before we start, let me make one thing very, very clear: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY THOSE DODGY CHINESE CLARINETS! They may be cheap, and look good, but trust me: they are the poorest quality instruments on the planet!


right...


Lets start from the beginning: student clarinets.


The most popular student models are the Buffet B12 and the Yamaha YCL250. Both are very good instruments, which will serve you until you decide to upgrade (and beyond). And when your finished with them, you can sell them for a reasonable amount: I recently sold my old Buffet B12 for 160! The RRPs are 480 (the Buffet) and 420 (the Yamaha), though most shops would sell them much cheaper than this, and you can getsecond hand onesfor bargain prices on ebay.


Leblanc are releasing a new student model later this year, and it looks pretty good. Being a Leblanc, it will probably be a jazz-orientated instrument.


Personally, I prefer the Buffet: The Buffet company was around a hundred years before Yamaha was even thought of. And I just dont trust a company that makes motor bikes to make a clarinet! They are perfectly good instruments though.


Intermediate clarinets


Personally, I would never buy a clarinet of this standard without playing it first. However, some of the bargains on ebay are just too good to miss.


Once again, Buffet and Yamaha are the most popular here: Buffet with their "E" series (853-1165) and Yamy with their YCL650 (959). Once again, I would personally choose the Buffet, probably the more expensive E13. The Yamaha is, however, a good instrument. Almost always overlooked is the Leblanc.


The leblanc Esprit, with an RRP of 1295, is the most expensive student clarinet (Though you will rarely find it being sold at RRP). I fell that it is the best. The wood and silver are of better quality, it comes with a better case, and a better mouthpeice. This clarinet has a brilliant jazz sound, but can also be used for classical work. It is definately the most versatile student clarinet. I recently passed my grade 6 on one of these, and I can safely say it will last me until grade 8. Indeed, a few weeks ago I played Mozarts clarinet concerto at an audition, which is a grade 8 peice. This clarinet, despite being a student model, has a professional sound. Leblanc also make a cheaper student model: the Sonata, RRP 995. I have never played it, but if its anything like the Esprit, its probably quite good.


Professional Clarinets


This is an area of which I have had little experience, so I can only offer opinions based on Intermediate models. As such, I would recomend the Leblanc Concerto (2200) and the more pricey Opus (3125). The Buffet R series is a slightly more affordable option, starting at 1862.


Of course, the ultimate pro clarinet, as with most instruments, is a Selmer. They have the best sound, but irronically are not the most expensive. A mid range Selmer would cost 2675 RRP)


I hope this guide is useful, and I may make additions and changes as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment